Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Recipe 10/50 : Bahamas : Fresh Coconut Cake

DSC_0047 (2)
One of the main ingredient in Bahamas is coconut.  They say, dessert is not quite Bahamian unless the sweet taste of the coconut is added. Coconut trees are in abundance in the Bahamas and coconut is common ingredient in Bahamian dishes especially desserts. 


The recipe calls for 2 8*inch pans, but I used a loaf pan and rest of the batter I poured to the muffin tray. The mini muffins for baked just for my neighbors kids. The two little girls enjoyed eating those muffins.
DSC_0041

DSC_0043
Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup vegetable shortening
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 to 1 1/2 cup fresh, finely chopped coconut
3/4 cup coconut milk
Method
Preheat oven to 350F
Sift dry ingredients together. 
BEat shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.  
Add egg one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition.  
Add vanilla extract and coconut. 
Add dry ingredients alternately with coconut milk, stirring only to blend.  
Bake for 25 minutes. 
Sprinkle coconut on top & sides of cake and serve!!!

18 comments:

  1. lovely bread! jus out of curiosity...from where r u learning these country specific recipes...:-)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Hyma: Dont ask me from where becuase its jus google that's helping me allround

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome bread..glad to follow you publicly..
    I would love if you follow my space too :-)
    Thanx in advance
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy cake...coconut should have given it a delicious taste..

    ReplyDelete
  5. A coconuty delight!!!! Looks awesome!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. cake looks soft and delicious..yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. superb cake!! thanks so much for stopping by and shring ur thoguhts :)... it really means lot to me :) following ur fan club too :)

    ur name is not there on my followers list. kindly re-check and do the needful. Thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like the idea of coconut in a cake.. This morning i was making pizza and wondering what fresh coconut would taste like in baked goods. Now i know its going to be delicious. You have a nice space here and like your idea of 50-50-50! Thank you for dropping by my space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious recipe!
    Thanks for nice comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. look so yummy!! & your pictures are very nice too....Happy to be a follower of you

    ReplyDelete
  11. not a huge baker but just did today and this looks like it could be next on my list! I love coconut! Thanks for visiting & commenting on my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look very nicely done...Yummy dessert

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soft and fluffy cake looks so tempting....thanks for drop in my space
    cheers

    ReplyDelete

avandia